Monday, November 15, 2010

Sons and Daughters.

Following the disappointment of my first paycheck, I'm going to be staying with my darling mother a little longer. Truth be told, it hasn't been that bad really. We barely see each other (I work nights, she starts early), a factor always conducive to a good relationship with your parents, I find... She is still a massive nag, and can't really navigate that fine line between child and flatmate, but it's ok.

I am glad that I've been here recently. A few weeks ago now we got the news that her Sister had died. Tragic enough in its self, but for the fact that it had happened months before and no one had told the rest of the family. I'm not going to go into all the details, but it was a sad end to what was ultimately a sad and wasted life. Estrangement is never easy to justify, but it happened here. And it's sad. Very very sad.

Yesterday we got the news that the 22 yr old son of a very close friend of hers had died in what was apparently an accidental drug overdose.

I am crossing my heart in the hope that the law of threes won't apply here. She isn't dealing with it very well, not that she would ever admit it. So I'm watching her. And if she needs it I'll take her to the pub and ply her with beer, or make her get dressed up and take her out to dinner.

Go hug your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment